It was built in the late 16th century by the Italian engineer Jean Bautista Antonelli, to provide the emerging Village of San Cristobal de La Habana with a fortress capable of defending it from the constant attacks of corsairs and pirates. Its strategically privileged position was recognized as early as the Havana harbour became a regular stop to the Spaniard fleets.
It was attacked and taken by the British fleet in 1762, after a courageous defense led by the Navy Officer Don Luis de Velasco. The beacon at the top of the Morro fortress was erected in 1844 to replace with a more modern than the one that had stood in the same spot since 1764.
Morro Fortress is itself a large museum piece which tells us about the solutions of the renaissance architecture applied on the military strategy. Two theme halls show the visitors the history of navigation in Havana harbour, where objects rescued from a sunken ship at the entrance of Havana Bay in the 19th Century can be seen. Several temporary expositions with a number of themes are simultaneously displayed.
The Three Morro Kings Fortress is included in the system of fortress that along with Old Havana was declared by the UNESCO World Heritage Site. Permanent exposition and a visit to the top of the beacon to enjoy the best views of the city are among its main attractions. In the evening the ceremony of lifting the flag takes place, according to the maritime traditions.
Located at the Morro-Cabaña Park in the municipality of Habana del Este.
Tel. (537) 863-7941
Open from Monday through Sunday, 09:00 â€“ 17:30
Entrance: $4:00 CUC
Visit the beacon: $2:00 CUC