Museum of the Revolution. Former Presidential Palace

It is located in a colorful building of a large dome and a mixture of styles which was official residence of the presidents of the Republic from 1920 to 1960.

The building stands as the Museum of the National Emancipation. A detailed panorama of the struggle undertaken by the Cuban people in order to obtain its freedom is available in its 38 rooms.

It has numerous exhibitions of abundant testimonial material, composed by photographs, original documents, miniature sites representation, weapons and objects that belonged to the combatants for the independence, audio and video recordings and cinematographic material.

The Presidential Office stands out as one of its most relevant parts, having an original decoration and furniture dating from 40´s, in the last century; the Salón de los Espejos (Mirrors Room), the most appealing and important in the museum, an imitation of the homonymous hall in the Palace of Versailles, Paris; the Northern Balcony, used in times of the republic by some of the presidents as tribune to expose their "political programs".

In several occasions, after 1959, the Palace received the most important leaders of the Revolution: Fidel and Raúl Castro, Che Guevara and Camilo Cienfuegos, the latter gave his last public speech two days prior to his physical disappearing. The Revolutionary National Militia, (October 26th, 1959) and the Committees for the Defense of the Revolution, (September 28th, 1960) were created from this very balcony.

Outside the building is the Granma Yacht Memorial, an exhibition, protected by a huge glass case. The vessel was used by Fidel Castro and over 80 combatants on their trip to return to Cuba from the exile in Mexico.

The disembark took place on December 2nd, 1957, in a place of the south west Cuban cost. The event represents the beginning of the last period of the war of independence in the Sierra Maestra and the later triumph on January 1st, 1959.

Located at: 1 Refugio Street, between Las Misiones Avenue and Zulueta, Old Havana.
Scheduled visits: tel. (537) 860-1524 and (537) 862 4098.
Open from Monday through Sunday, 10:00 – 17:00
Entrance: 5:00 CUC
|